Wednesday 11 July 2007

My Maternal Grandparents ( part 2 )

My maternal grandfather was a man of very few words. He was extremely dedicated to his family. Although he toiled all his life he never got out of poverty. However during all those years when I was with him I never once heard him complain about the inequality of life. He was poor but was a man with dignity and believed in hard work.

My grandfather had a market stall selling Chinese medicinal tea. At 10 cents a cup he had to sell many to support his large family. It was a constant struggle but the family got by, albeit at most times only just.

In September 1966 after my studies in Kuala Lumpur, it was time for me to leave Malaysia for the United Kingdom. My grandmother was very ill and was hospitalized in Malacca. Before I left for the UK I visited Malacca to say goodbye. I knew then that that would be to last time I would see my grandmother alive. I remember it was a very sad day for me. My grandmother told me to study hard and to return home soon. I promised her that I would complete my study in UK and return to be with her. She had managed to save 40 dollars which she gave me for my journey to UK. It must have been hard for her too. I am sure she knew that she was saying her final farewell to me. I was her eldest grandson and she had much love for me. I was her favorite. Three months after my arrival in London I received news that my dear grandmother had passed away. I will always have fond memories for my dear grandmother. She will always have a special place in my heart.

My studies ended in May 1969. One week after leaving college I got a job with Hunting Surveys as a junior surveyor. My father was not happy for me to start work in UK and insisted that I return to Malaysia. I finally relented and left UK for Malaysia in December 1969. I left UK with a heavy heart. I knew that the one person I cherished ill not be there when I got home. My grandmother was gone and I knew that Malaysia would be empty without her. However, as an obedient son I bowed to my father wish and returned to Segamat my hometown.

As I had expected Segamat was not the same without grandmother. I was restless and unhappy after a month or two. We were still living above the shop and there wasn’t much room for all of us. My siblings were all teenagers and our home was too small for all of us. Finally in March of 1970 I packed my bags and left Segamat for UK again. My poor mother was heart broken and my father was furious. It will be many years later before I visit my home again.

Returning to UK and joining Hunting Surveys again was not an easy decision for me. I had to leave my family. I knew I would miss my loved ones very much, but there was a whole world out there and I had to venture out to see as much of it as possible. I had no money to speak of, so the only way to see the world was to join Hunting Surveys.

My days with Hunting Surveys proved to a long and happy adventure which will be in my later postings.

No comments: