Wednesday 11 July 2007

Chinese New Year Celebrations of Yesteryears

I am interrupting the sequence of my blog with this posting because tomorrow is the Lunar New Year. It will be the year of the Golden Pig, a very important time for the Chinese. The next such event will be in another 60 years. I will definitely not be around to see that event. I think Chinese New Year is the time of the year when the family get together to renew bonds and show respect. It is a time of goodwill, forgiveness, compassion and above all love.

As far as I can remember, Chinese New Year celebrations were the best few days in the year. There was always plenty to eat and drink. We had new clothes and plenty of “ ang pow “ money. I mother sew all our clothes in those days. Off the pegs clothes were too expensive and as there were quite a few of us, I guess it was cheaper to sew our own. It was traditional for all of us to have new clothes and shoes for the New Year celebration.

Chinese New Year celebrations usually lasted three full days. Our stores were closed for business and it was traditional to spend a great part of the day at the gambling tables. With plenty of money from our “ ang pows “ we could afford to gamble, buy our favorite snacks and practically stayed up as late as we desired. In fact we could virtually do anything. It is a Chinese tradition that one does not scold or beat a child during this festive period. I guess we as children knew about this and took liberty wherever and whenever we could.

During my younger days Chinese New Year periods were the only time when we were allowed firecrackers. We had sparklers too, but firecrackers were our favorite. Sleep was almost impossible during the three festive days. I can safely say that Chinese New Year celebrations were the happiest time of my year.

I cannot remember much about the New Year celebrations when I was very little. However, the memories of later celebrations are all good. The last of my New Year celebration at home in Segamat was in 1966. After 1966 I have never again returned home for the Chinese New Year celebration. Each year on the morning of new year’s day I would telephone home to wish mother a Happy New Year.

Will I ever return to Segamat to celebrate another Chinese New Year? I would love to do that soon. However, I paid a visit to Segamat last week to deliver an ang pow to elder mother. I do remember her on her birthdays and on Chinese New Year.

No comments: